Creating a Community of Learners

Creating a Community of Learners

Friday, June 22, 2012

Blog Post 2

Original Post:


I Am All Over Digital Photography by Fran Kramer (Kindergarten Crayons)
If you know me you are use to seeing me with a camera. Yup, I am super sentimental and a compulsive photographer. I am also a digital scrapper. There, I finally admitted that.I have found millions of ways to use photography in my classroom. I know most bloggers are on board with this but maybe you use photography in ways I haven't thought of. Chapter two of Teaching in the Digital Age is all about this.
Here are some of the ways I use photographs in my classroom:
1. First day pictures which are used for labeling cubbies, making name charts, and cards for pocket chart work.
2. Often I use photographs to create thinking maps, sorting boys and girls, and worksheets to sustain student interest.
3. I use photographs to create emergent readers and Big Books ( Helpers At Our School and Stores In Our Community)
4. I use digital pictures to create Power Points of all kinds. Some of these are for building background in both Science and Social Studies. So I have one on the symbols of our country and use some animation to keep student interest high.
5. Often I make Photo Story 3 Movies so students can retell a special event in our classroom or a field trip wewent on. These can easily be sent to parents.
6.I use Smilebox and create simple little movies for the families I serve.
7. When I train teachers my Power Points are loaded with students doing specific activities and photos of their work. It really clarifies information.
8. Often I will email parents sight word PowerPoints or a simple movie of letters and sounds using my voice.
9. I take songs that the kids love and build a PowerPoint so they have the support of graphics and can see the text. Often I let the children work the computer while we all sing!
10. PowerPoint presentations can be printed out and made into books by just putting the pages into protective sleeves and binding.
11. The cutest thing I EVER did was take a video with my iphone of a child jumping rope successfully for the first time and I sent it to his mom. SHE LOVED ME FOR A LONG TIME.

Now technology is much more available to our students and I am thinking about some new possibilities:

1. I want to use photography more for anchor charts. Take a picture of expected behaviors at your various stations and post them.

2. Kids will have ipad cameras and will be able to use them in the classroom. I need to think about doing this effectively. This is pretty exciting stuff to me. My head is spinning!
3. Maybe I will want to take videos of students working collaboratively and show them to the class so we can have conversations and do some reflection.
4. All kinds of expository text can be created which is a big part of CCSS.

What are some of your ideas? Please join the conversation!
Read this chapter because it is full of great ideas. The author talks about using photography to build background which can be crucial for an English Language Learner. By the way, I love to print my pictures out. I don't just store them on my computer. Just sayin'



My Response

The book Teaching in the Digital Age sounds awesome.  I teach kindergarten, and I think it’s extremely important to create technology enhanced learning environments for our students.  This book sounds like it would be a great resource for me as I try to incorporate more technology into my classroom.  I love your ideas for using digital photographs.  Next year I’d like to create digital portfolios for my students using digital pictures.  I checked out the Smilebox website, and I think I could use Smilebox to create these digital portfolios.  I could take pictures of individual students as they complete different learning activities and then create slideshows for each student.  I could then send these portfolios to parents or even watch them together at parent teacher conferences.  I can’t wait to read Teaching in the Digital Age.  Thanks for sharing!

Link to Original Post

http://kindergartencrayons.blogspot.com/2012/06/am-all-over-digital-photography-in-my.html



 

No comments:

Post a Comment